Coupled Model Intercomparison project Phase 6
- Project under World Climate Research Programme (WCRP)
- Since 1995 CMIP has coordinated climate model experiments
- Defines common experiment protocols, forcings and output.
- 33 model groups participate
GMD special issue with articles explaining all MIPs in CMIP6 : https://www.geosci-model-dev.net/special_issue590.html
- General CMIP6 website https://www.wcrp-climate.org/wgcm-cmip/wgcm-cmip6
- Guidance documents: (https://pcmdi.llnl.gov/CMIP6/)
- Emissions/Forcing datasets (https://esgf-node.llnl.gov/projects/input4mips/)
- Participating Modelling Groups (https://rawgit.com/WCRP-CMIP/CMIP6_CVs/master/src/CMIP6_institution_id.html)
- Model and experiment documentation (https://search.es-doc.org/)
CMIP6 ESMValTool evaluation and analysis results (https://cmip-esmvaltool.dkrz.de/)
Emission visualising: https://eccad.aeris-data.fr
- Homogenized and standardized outputs
- Same variable name
- Same experiments
- Overview: https://www.wcrp-climate.org/wgcm-cmip/wgcm-cmip6
- ES-DOCs: https://search.es-doc.org/
- Database for data request: http://clipc-services.ceda.ac.uk/dreq/index.html
- Search for variables: http://clipc-services.ceda.ac.uk/dreq/mipVars.html
- Search for experiments: http://clipc-services.ceda.ac.uk/dreq/experiments.html
- Easiest: https://esgf-node.llnl.gov/search/cmip6/
- Choose a MIP (model intercomparison project) under "Activity" (e.g. CMIP)
- Choose e.g. "Experiment ID" historical
- Choose "Realm" e.g. aerosol
- Press search (this will narrow your further options)
- If you want a particular madGEM3-GC31-LL.amip.r2i1p1f3.Eday.zmla.gn Data Node: esgf-data3.ceda.ac.ukodel, you can choose this under "Source ID"
- Now you can use either use "Variable" or "CF Standard Name" to pick out the variable you want. ## Download to Jupyter hub:
- Click on the "WGET Script" under the variable file you want.
- The file will get downloaded to your computer.
- Upload it to the Jupyter Hub (you can click and drag the file into your folder)
- Use a terminal in Jupyter hub and run(Replace wget***.sh by the actual name of your file)
bash wget***.sh -H
- When it askes for openid and password, just press "enter".
There are some tools for downloading and manipulating data, but I don't have experience with them.
- Command line tool to search and download files from the ESGF: http://prodiguer.github.io/synda/index.html
- ESMValTool: https://esmvaltool.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html
- Observational data for comparison
- Works with Synda to get model data: https://esmvaltool.readthedocs.io/en/latest/getting_started/inputdata.html